Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default "Rubbing Out"

On 10/24/2011 1:56 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Still working on my desktop, but I was away for the weekend and didn't
get anything done (except the application of what should be the last
coat). I've now got 5 coats of MinWax poly on it, the first one Semi and
the rest Satin.

It *looks* pretty decent; a satin finish as would be expected. But I can
still feel some little nibs. So what to do next?

Someone here suggested pumice and rottenstone. I did a little reading
and I think I may try out those abrasives on something (smaller)
sometime soon. But I read an article last night that suggested that the
nibs I'm feeling could be smoothed out with 600 grit paper and paraffin
oil. He wrote that if a Satin finish was what was desired, one could
stop there, or proceed to finer abrasives.

Do your self a favor and wrap a piece of paper around a piece of wood
and rub the nibs off. It will take you no time at all and may astound
you as to how well that works.