Posted to rec.woodworking

Default just slightly off topic, but mostly on topic; Make-up air

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:56:22 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:

Can't imagine living in a house wrapped and caulked so tight that
every time the dog farts your ears pop. Like living in a submarine.

Quite the evocative description, Ger.

It sounds illogical but there's a method to their madness. A thermal
exchange unit, it warms the air as it breathes in winter so it doesn't
cost you an arm and a leg for your air leaks. Regular leaks leak hot
air out and suck cold air in indiscrimately, perhaps into one room
alone. They cost lots of HVAC time to recover from.

So then you need a $3000 snorkel to breathe.

The bigun was a 600cfm monster for a bigass megaMcMansion, methinks.
The littleun (60cfm, $321) would work for my 1,500s/f home.

At one time, during a tornado it was recommended that you keep one window
away from the tornado open to avoid your house exploding from the sudden
change in pressure. When this advice was debunked, one of the things
that was pointed out was that most houses are so leaky they'll easily
adjust to the change. Now that we're building tighter and tighter
houses, might we have to worry about explosion again? *g*

Puckdropper