Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Heating one room

On 22/10/11 12:47, NT wrote:
On Oct 22, 10:24 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
NT wrote:

Thanks everyone - an oil-filled rad with thermostat I think it is then!
:-)
Thats nearly the worst of all options. Not only are plugin electrics
the most expensive to run, but the low power output and lack of fan
mean it'll need to be switched on a while before the room's used,
wasting even more money.

The room is warmed by the central heating morning and evening when the
rest of the house is in use. All that's needed is to maintain that
temperature during the day. And all electric heaters are 100% efficient.
Apart from a fan heater where the fan uses extra energy. ;-)

100% at 12p/unit versus gas with maybe 85% efficient at 3-4p/unit.

possibly 85% at the transfer of energy to hot water in the boiler, but
there is a lot to lose circulating in pipes to heat one radiator.

Also worth taking into account the benefits of a good south facing
window on sunny winter days. I find sunlight and the output from various
computers and the occasional boiling kettle keep my workroom warm enough
most winter days.