Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default home security

On 10/22/2011 2:10 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
cj wrote:

just curious as to if anyone has any input into outdoor security
cameras. i am leaning towards this one
http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Wireless...999550-1150327
and while the reviews seem okay perhaps some of you can provide input
into a different system.
thanks, cj

Lorex is junk.

Please go to alt.security.alarms and ask, you won't be sorry you got
input from the Pro's *first*. We just had a guy drop by, that bought
into the crappy Costco package. Now he is kicking himself for not
researching CCTV first. Its not a matter of "is this camera good?"

Exactly, lots of folks fall into "all this for $299" thinking and
quickly find out why it is a waste of time.

As an example there is a local bar that serves mostly food. The owner
isn't a friend but I have known him for a long time. He mentioned he
wanted to get cameras and was getting an "all this for $299" package. He
installs it and is really impressed because he can see pictures. I try
to explain how meaningless it is because of the lack of detail but price
trumps everything. Not long after there was a break in at the bar. When
they blew up the pictures looking for detail it was clearly obvious that
either a black or white person who may have had eyes was the culprit.
Now he was willing to spend thousands to enhance the pictures only to
learn you can't enhance poor detail images to any extent.