Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default TomTom

"Dave Plowman (News)" :
I have one of the early TomToms - the type which are quite deep.
Disliking having wires trailing, I fitted the PS inside the instrument
nacelle and installed a socket in the nacelle cover - the same as the one
on the TomTom. Made up a short lead from it to the TomTom. Looks just fine
- and despite the warnings about the extra volt sensing wire it's worked
great for years.

I've upgraded to a much larger screen one which is also nice and slim. But
the power connector is a small USB one. Could I do something like the same
with that, but obviously using an easier to fit connector than the USB
one? In other words, cut the output lead from the new PS and use some form
of connector to get it through the cover, and use the cut off end of the
lead as a tail.

I'd slit the sheath just where I'd be putting the connectors, to find
out how many cores there are. If you're very lucky there will be just
two.

--
Mike Barnes