Charlie Self

Default OT - Social Security

Kevin writes:

The fix? well it the 3s bear any resemblance to reality, I see about 5
ways. 1. Raise taxes. 2. Reduce benefits. 3. Raise retirement age.
4. Remove the death tax - completely. 5. Triple at least, limits on
IRA contributions

Taxes have consistently gone up on SS. Benefits also have risen, but supposedly
as a COLA, which I have a feeling reduces the raise in taxes considerably.
Retirement age has risen, though probably not enough. I'm not at all sure what
the death tax has to do with SS. While larger limits on IRAs make sense for
many, the people SS is actually aimed at will get no benefit at all. If you
haven't got the money to save one way, you don't have enough to save another
way.

Charlie Self
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
America." William J. Clinton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html