Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default TomTom

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 23:55:44 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've upgraded to a much larger screen one which is also nice and slim.
But the power connector is a small USB one. Could I do something like
the same with that, but obviously using an easier to fit connector than
the USB one?

Going from memory here...

For most little USB charger/device combinations, D- and D+ are tied
together (sometimes shorted, sometimes with a resistor), and there maybe
be resistors between those pins and +5V / GND, too. AIUI, if a device
sees that D- and D+ are tied, it takes that to mean that it's connected
via USB to a charger, rather than something that it's expected to
communicate with.

Sometimes the tieing / resistors are buried within the USB connector
itself, but sometimes it's done back at the PSU and the 4-way cable/
connector are just straight-through.

If you've got the former, you just need a 2-way connector in the
dashboard, because the USB connector (which I assume you'll still be
using to connect to the Tomtom itself) contains all the needed gubbins.
Lots of robust 2-way connectors exist.

For the latter though you'd need a four-way connector of some form - I'm
not sure what would be best there.

cheers

Jules