Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating one room

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:23:25 +0100, Dave wrote:

What's the best way (and by that I think I mean the cheapest way) of
heating just one room?

More clothes...

I assume that the way NOT to do it is have the full house central
heating on and turn down (or off?) the TRVs in all the other rooms?

Is your current room stat a single temperature one? If so swapping it
for a programmable one and setting it to say 18C during the day, 12C
at night and 20C for the evenings. With an oil filled electric rad,
with a stat, to top up your work room. You'll never turn down TRVs in
every room, every working day and them back up again it'll be too
much of a chore. Let a programmable stat to it for you. B-)

Remember that you may be "working" but you will be using the rest of
the house a little, like the kitchen to make your lunch, dining or
living room to eat it or just have a break and the loo of course.
Having the rest of the house cool too much wouldn't be comfortable.

In case anyone was going to suggest one of those stand-alone gas
heaters, I assume it would have to go on the brick wall

Not normally they don't produce enough fumes to be a problem but for
every kg of gas they burn they produce a kg of water vapour. So even
if they don't need a great deal of ventilation for combustion air
they need it to get rid of the moisture.

--
Cheers
Dave.