Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Heating one room

On 21/10/2011 16:57, Huge wrote:
On 2011-10-21, wrote:
On 21/10/2011 16:23, Dave wrote:

What's the best way (and by that I think I mean the cheapest way) of
heating just one room? We have a box room that I'm going to set up as an
office as I'm now going to be working from home. I assume that the way
NOT to do it is have the full house central heating on and turn down (or
off?) the TRVs in all the other rooms?

It's a 1960s semi-detached dormer (chalet) bungalow with one external
wall being "normal" brick/cavity/brick, the other external wall has the
window and has (I think) inner plasterboard/wood frame/outer tile
construction and the other two walls are standard stud walls.

In case anyone was going to suggest one of those stand-alone gas
heaters, I assume it would have to go on the brick wall but due to the
room layout, that wall is the best choice for the desk and shelving so
I'm afraid that's a non-starter.

I use a thick pullover and a halogen radiant heater. It is me that needs
to be warm, not the room.

I use a thick pullover and a cheapo 2kW fan heater from Sainsers, if
required. Which it isn't at the moment. Radiant heaters are all very
well on average, but half of you is scorched and half cold.

You need a swivel chair and a laptop ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.