Silvan

Default table saw adjustment: how anal?

Lawrence R Horgan wrote:

Silvan ALREADY KNOWS how to adjust his saw, you can tell by reading his
post. His only real problem is that, he gets his adjustment correct but
then it changes when he tightens down the hardware. This is not uncommon.

Right. There seems to be some kind of self-centering action going on here.
To mitigate this, I tried jacking up the whole blade carriage gizmo (the
trunions?) from directly below the arbor, to keep it flush with the bottom
of the table while loosening the bolts. I wiggled it into position with
all six bolts extremely loose, and it seemed to be pretty nearly dead on
(plus or minus less than a sheet of origami paper.) Then when I tightened
everything up, it was right smack back where I started.

Good points raised elsewhere about how ripping is no indication in of
itself. My crosscuts seemed to be pretty well dead on, but then I thought
to try the *other* slot, and now I see how severe the problem is.
Crosscutting with the left slot, the results are excellent, but no cutting
or contact whatsoever takes place on the far side of the blade. Switch to
the right slot, and the work binds horribly on the far side of the cut as
the blade digs in at an angle. The resulting cut is slanted.

I could slant the fence the same way, and only use the left miter slot, but
that's not really acceptable. Back to the drawing board.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/