Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default GE rant, and oven controll board problem

George Herold wrote:
We have a GE profile electric oven (made in 1993). The oven stopped
working. When you pushed the button to turn the oven on the display
just blinked. A call to the local repair guy, “We don’t service GE
stuff, sorry”. I wondered why at the time. So my wife called a GE
repairman and scheduled a visit. The day before the visit he called
to get the problem details. “Oh”, he says, “You need a new oven
control board and GE no longer makes it.”

So GE’s idea is that I buy a new oven. I think I might rather have
hot pokers in my eye’s than buy a GE product!

Anyway I’m sending my board off to Fixyourboard.com tomorrow, ($160
and a two year guarantee). Now I’ve got the board sitting in front
of me, if anyone here some idea of what to try I could save the money
and time. There are no obvious blown bits on the board, and I removed
and reinstalled the one connector cable.

Thanks guys, And don’t buy a GE product!

George H.

Its almost twenty years old. That is not bad for electronic items to
finally need any service. Do you drive a 1993 car, use it daily, and
expect it to not need service?

Manufacturers generally only stock parts for up to 5 years - after that
you are at the mercy of the aftermarket folks.

At least you found someone willing to fix it!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com