George

Default OT - Social Security

Well, based on past history and your whining tag line, you're probably not
reading unbiased sources. However, if you care to check, did the article
talk about projections on benefit growth?

That, and demographics, is the problem. Only someone with an irresponsible
axe to grind would neglect to mention them. Judge your article accordingly.

Ideology is what destroys, not the weapons ideologues wield. How many were
killed by machete in Rwanda?

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
OK, I cringe at starting another offtopic thread, but this one
should be of interest to many on this group.

According to an article in my morning paper, the dire warnings
about Social Security going broke in a few decades are based on
the economy growing at a rate of 1.6% a year. For the last 75
years, the economy, according to the article, has grown at an
average rate of 3.6%.

The economics professor quoted in the article is of the opinion
that the "crisis" has been manufactured by the mutual funds and
other investment types to tout privatizing of Social Security.
That's a big pile of money they'd love to get their hands on.

Please don't let this degenerate into yet another philosophy
harangue. The only question to be debated is whether the
article is accurate or not.

It appears to me that even if the average rate is halved, it's
about 10% higher (1.8% vs 1.6%) than the crisis estimates used.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?