Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

On Oct 20, 12:33*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:55:32 -0700, Andy wrote:
On Oct 20, 7:51 am, dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Andy replies:

* *I leave mine outside and , after many years, have noticed no
deterioration in the metal.... HOWEVER, I use mine mostly for cleaning
out gutters, and have some shag carpet *duct taped around the top 2 feet
so it won't scratch the gutter that *U set it against..... *That
deteriorates.... I am considering just making some carpet "sleeves" that
I can slip on an off.....

You can get rubber 'boots' that slip over the ends of the ladder for just
that purpose (although I suppose, being at the top, they should be called
gloves :-)

I normally just tie some cloth or something around the ends as/when
needed, though.

Both of my ladders just live in one of my open vehicle sheds, so they're
covered, but still exposed to damp air (but I need to be careful where I
put them as the front half of the sheds fill up with snow over winter).
Putting some hanging hooks on the back wall has been on the to-do list
for more months than I care to think about

cheers

Jules- Hide quoted text -

Just curious...

"my open vehicle sheds" vs. "the back wall"

Does "open" mean 3 sided - i.e. just no door?