Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Homemade leaf collector

On 10/19/2011 8:58 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Oct 19, 7:57 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 07:36:41 -0500, wrote:
On 10/19/2011 4:59 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TNty8QNITpg

I've always wondered - why collect them? Two passes with the lawn
tractor and they're finely chopped and disappear into the lawn. It's a
lot faster and easier than vacuuming or raking them up.

That's what I do. When I had a mower without a "mulching
attachment" I taped a heavy business size envelope over the output
chute and it worked just as well. I only need it for about 1 or 2
mows in the late fall. (They've just started to fall this week.)

When I had a half acre I never even considered raking the leaves, so I
never have.

I used to live on a 3 arce lot with lots of trees, mostly pin oaks. It
got to be a loosing battle to keep them raked so I let it go simi
natural except for about half an acre the house was on. Maintenace of
the natural area was reduced to occasionally walking around with an
eye hoe and chopping down briars and various seedlings. One of my
buddies wanted me to collect some seedlings for him.....cant imagine
someone wanting pin oaks in their yard that wasnt already stuck with
them.

Jimmie

I like my pin oaks, and the red and white oaks also, along with the 20
or so other tree types growing wild around the little grass border
surrounding my house. I just think it's crazy when people have an acre
or two or ten that they actually mow all summer long. I do have one big
grassy area but not by choice, it's the leach field for the septic.