Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Store aluminum ladder outdoors?

On Oct 20, 9:43*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
dgk wrote:
I have an aluminum extension ladder that I use every other year or so
to get on the roof, otherwise it takes up space in the garage. Can I
just leave it under the deck in the backyard? It will get wet but
shouldn't rust although I guess the rope that operates the extension
will rot and need to be replaced. Will the mechanism itself develop
problems?

Hi,
I have been doing it for years for my 32 feet ext. ladder, I hang it
under the eve. of tool shed when not in use.

Same here. I keep it under part of the house eaves.
Been doing it for 15 years. The only concern I have is
that while the ladder is aluminum, the two bolts that
connect the latching part to the ladder are steel and
have rust on them. Probably not a big deal, as they
still appear to be intact and the rust probably is just
on the surface. Still, I do think about it when I'm on
the ladder.....

The rope deteriorated, but that's easily replaced. If
storing under a deck, I'd find some concrete blocks
or similar to keep it off the ground.