Posted to uk.d-i-y
AlanD[_3_] AlanD[_3_] is offline

Default Reverse Air con

On 20/10/2011 14:23, David WE Roberts wrote:

"AlanD" wrote in message
On 20/10/2011 13:38, wrote:
We have a conservatory which as expected gets freezing cold in winter.
I need to heat it.
My understanding is that It is against the Building control exemption
to extend our gas central heating
At the home improvement show recently at Earls Court was a company
selling air con units which can run in reverse cycle The supplier
claims that these units working in reverse will give 3.5 usuable
units per unit of electricity used I am not interested in the cooling
prowess as this is not an issue
Does anyone have anyone have any real world view of this ? Do they
work properly?
It all sounds too good to be true

My gas CH also heats the UFH in my conservatory. It's an independent
zone with it's own programmable 'stat.

IIRC the insulation requirements used to be different if the
conservatory was part of the main house (no doors) or not part of the
main house (doors between conservatory and house).
If you were exempt from the insulation requirements you weren't supposed
to extend the central heating into the conservatory.
Presumably as you have UFH the conservatory was insulated to the then
current building regs as part of the house.

Cheers

Dave R

There are double uPVC doors between the house and conservatory, so I
guess may be exempt? (they were there long before the conservatory)
It was built 2 years ago by Everest with the current 'heat reflective
glass'.
Not sure what it complies with, I fitted the UFH pipes before the screed
was laid over 4" kingspan.
Seems to hold it's heat quite well anyway and no noticeable increase in
the gas bill after it was installed.

Alan.