Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Wall street occupation.

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:01:21 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:02:51 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Thia is another reason why we need universal health insurance coverage
with premiums dependent on income rather than on employment. Employers
paying health insurance premiums was an accident of US history that has
no advantages and serious disadvantages.

Perce

The real problem is the whole idea of health insurance. It makes
medical care "free" and nothing is as expensive as something that
people think is free.

I hear this - or a version of it - all the time.
Most people know very well what they are paying in insurance premiums.
Even those on Medicare know what's coming out of their SS and what
they are paying for supplementals.
So do you know anybody who thinks medical care is "free?"
It's only "free" for those who have nothing with which to pay.

Personally, I don't know anybody who visits a doctor unless they are
sick, or have a medical issue, like a 2" boil on their nose.
I despise seeing a doctor unless I have a real medical issue.
Don't most people have much the same view?

Like most here, I've been paying med insurance premiums for decades.
Tens and tens of thousands of dollars.
Until this year, and excepting 5 babies, I hardly used it.
Exams once a year.
Where did my premiums go?
To the insurance/medical industry, and to provide medical service to
others. That's how insurance works.

Here's what happened to me this year, and reveals a big part of the
problem with insurance/medical costs.
Had to rest a lot because during snow shoveling season because my left
leg was hurting.
After snow shoveling season was over, I didn't walk much at all for
about a month. Basically taking the garbage and dogs out.
Took the train downtown with my wife for her citizenship.
Couldn't walk - leg started going numb - had to cab it to the office.
Went to the doc. Sent me to a surgeon for possible hernia.
Surgeon said hernia wasn't cause, and prescribed 4 MRI/MRA's.
Hospital could only schedule one that day, the other 3 a week later.
I did the one that Thursday.

Sunday my GP calls, and wants me to see a vascular surgeon on Tuesday.
Said I had a blockage.
Went to the vascular surgeon and she showed me the MRI.
Clearly showed the left iliac artery completely blocked.
Blah, blah. So I have PAD (peripheral artery disease.)
No big deal. There's lot worse than that.
Very good care and communication by my medical group.
I was impressed how they communicated rapidly.
Here's the point. I knew the MRI cost $4000.
My insurance only pays 80% until max out-of-pocket, which is $5k.
The insurance takes a big chunk of my wife's paycheck.
$5k a year, plus what her employer takes from her wage to pay the
other part.
Now I'm in for another $800 MRI bite. Okay.
MRI is a good tool.
So I ask the vascular surgeon if I need the other 3 MRI/MRA's.
She said to go ahead and get them.
I wish now I had been more forceful and inquisitive, but I wasn't.
I'm not hurting for money, and I was a bit stunned to find I had this
condition. I used to walk many miles every day
So I got the other 3 and added $12k to bring the tab to $16k, and my
share to $3200.

I repeat, the MRI is a good tool.
In Japan they do them for less than $200.
Mine were $4k a pop.
Something very wrong there.
Besides the cost, I'm skeptical there was any reason for the last 3
of them.
I'm going to pin the vascular surgeon down on this when I see her in
about 6 months.
She might have seen it as just part of good medical care.
She might have seen it as not bucking the surgeon who prescribed the
MRI's.
She might have seen it as a "preventative" tort issue deal.
She might have stock in the medical group, and some MRI profits go to
her.
Lot's of possibilities.

Anyway, I think most people are aware medical care is far from free.
Especially when the bills arrive.
I got a kick (growl) when I got multiple bills from a radiologist
for "reading" the MRI/MRA's.
My wife was joking after the 3rd bill,
"That's probably the office janitor's cut."
I coughed up the dough.

--Vic