Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Wall street occupation.

On Oct 19, 4:25*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 19, 1:21 pm, "
wrote:

Well said and excellent points. *I've said for a long time that
what we need to do is get free market principles applied to
healthcare. *We should be asking the question if free markets
can supply corn flakes, cars, and even life or auto insurance
at reasonable prices, what's wrong with healthcare?

I'd say that it's people's view of healthcare. *That and lawyers.
Both the ones chasing ambulances and the ones chasing campaign
contributions.

I'd like to see a committee put together with some top business
CEOs, like Andy Grove, Jack Welch, etc to research it and
figure out what exactly is wrong and how we can fix it.

Instead, we just created another big govt progrm that is
going to do nothing to stop spiraling costs. *Those costs
are ultimately still going to be paid by most of us, either
directly or through taxes.

If Grove and Welch's investigation turned up a report that said that
insurance is a basic need for all people, and as such a nationwide
program was required (broken up into smaller administration groups/
regions/whatever), and that a national/state per capita tax was
required to pay for it, would you be okay with that?

Unlike many conservatives, I don't have a problem with the
govt requiring mandatory healthcare coverage for everyone.
I do have a problem with the way it's being done under
Obamacare.

My reasoning goes like this. The only free market solution to
not having universal healthcare coverage and the burden
not being placed unfairly on taxpayers is to refuse to
treat people who can't pay. Unless you do that, then
plenty of people are gonna show up at the emergency
room for treatment and we all get stuck with the bill.
And we all know that we can't do that.

The logical alternative is for everyone to be required to
have insurance. But I'd like to see it done in the private
sector. The govt could spec out a min coverage package.
Everyone would have to buy at least one of those.
And for those with low incomes, the govt would give
them a voucher, the amount depending on income,
that would be used to buy insurance in the private
market.

Then you need to figure out how to increase
competition and why free market principles are not
working well in healthcare, etc.