Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Rockwell 14 Band Saw

On 10/19/2011 8:01 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
My father left me a Rockwell 14 band saw. It's pretty old. The blade is having
trouble staying in alignment. I was told that the drive wheel or some other part
involved in the movement of the blade has probably dried up and is not
replaceable because of the age of the saw.

Can anyone shed any light on this poorly described problem? Are parts available,
or do I just junk the saw?

There are rubber "tires" on the wheels. They _may_ (or may not) be the
problem; it may simply be out of alignment.

After-market tires are available as well as from Delta if they do turn
out to be the problem. One first step to check is to use a straightedge
and ensure the two wheels are coplanar--if they're not for some reason,
it's very difficult to get a blade to track even if the tires are still ok.

Definitely it is not at all likely there's anything fundamentally wrong
w/ the saw; I'd wonder if the person who told you it was likely
irrepairable wasn't fishing to "take it off your hands for you".

I'd suggest you go to the

rec.woodworking

group instead of a.h.r for more specifics...

Actually, I'll post this followup there as well.