Posted to rec.woodworking
m II m II is offline

Default Rest in Peace, Mr. Ritchie

Remember the first twenty Windows versions? Until Win NT Windows could
deal with interrupt I/O processing. An interrupt would cause a semi
fore flag to the O/S and then when the O/S had time it would handle the
semaphore, as if, the hardware interrupt had just happened. When a
flood of input events would happen, half the input events would be lost
if he CPU was busy doing something some other code writer thought was
the most important thing to do or some idiot didn't know that a
multitasking system had to be called from your own code every few
milliseconds or your printer would stop. Gawd! Windows was a POS and
couldn't come anywhere near other O/Ses from the late 70s.

If IBM hadn't cause the market to jump back into the 8 bit 70's with
their PC Bill Gates might be a gutter boy still retraining to write
code without any education. He must sit back, with all this multi CPU
stuff and wonder WTF? are they talking about!

------------------
"Jack" wrote in message ...
Gates is a multi-billionaire because IBM bestowed the DT/PC market upon
him. They did this despite the fact he had NO OS at the time they
contracted with him. They contracted with him because his (rich) mommy
was friends with the heads of IBM, and he was smart enough, even though
he dropped out of college, to prevent competition from eating his
lunch.
He was rich enough to be able to pay Patterson 100g's for the OS he
bought off him.

Had Gates and company been "competent" we would all be running OS/2 or
something even better, and I would be happy as hell Gates was the
richest MF'r on earth.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com