Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25480 Ignoramus25480 is offline

Default Is this forklift worth it?

On 2011-10-19, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:12:08 -0500, Ignoramus25480

On 2011-10-18, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:15:54 -0500, Ignoramus25480
wrote:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/2654254555.html

I saw it. It starts right away and seems to function just fine. 10k
capacity. 48" forks.

The age is 30 years old (1981).

Condition is EVERYTHING. Any major repair is more than the value of
the lift. Parts are VERY expensive. They can be VERY hard to work on.

For example, my hyster clutch is weak. I got a quote of $2800 to
repair. And i know it would go $500 over when the bill came. So, drive
till dies; get another.

Are some brands better with parts support?

I am thinking, I should wait some more. A forklift is not needed that
urgently, as I can move big stuff with my OTC crane.

This is a weird place, a yard used by some MExicans to resell old
American equipment to South America. Lathes etc are sitting covered by
tarps and rusting.

if at all possible, I buy stuff like this based on the other
variables. For example, I bought my backhoe at Marv A.'s auction. He
got the alzheimer's, before that he was well known for impeccable care
of everything he owned. I could have got the same hoe at a consignment
auction for a thousand less.

In other works, look around and assess how carefully it was used and
maintained. Also, assess the chances somebody is unloading their
hidden problem.

A forklift is one of those things you'll wonder how you ever lived
without it. I take my forklift TO the auction and load my own stuff.

Karl

Karl, it actually looks great. The exhaust manifold is not very rusty,
I could not see any leaks underneath, and the gas engine looks pretty
decent. I spent good 5 minutes looking at the insides before the
seller showed up.