Stephen M

Default Life expectancy of planer blades???

"Lawrence R Horgan" wrote in message
Ron, I agree with Ed... you've got to feed your lumber in all along the
planer's width so one part of the blade doesn;t wear fater than another.
But... you probably knew that already.

I work almost exclusively with qs white oak. I dont think I've ever paid
attention to how many bf I'm getting out of my planer blades, but I'll

guess
between 75 and 100 board feet, depending on my depth of cut. Taking light
passes is certainly easier on the blades, but it takes more passes to get
where you want to be. I'm a big believer in light cuts though, and I don;t
mind feeding the machine more often.

That 75-100 board feet guestimate is with roughsawn lumber and planing it
only enough to bring it to a smooth finished surface. I say guestimate
because it could be half that much or twice as much.

Wow. That seems really short. inless you are referrring to the actual VOLUME
of material removed. I'm referring to 100 bf being processing 100bf of
rough-cut stock , 4/4 or 5/4 into nominal S4S.

My cumulative guess over a halfdozen blade changes on a delta snipe-master
and a DW733 is a few hundred bd ft.

That's doing some dimensoning on the stock too, not just getting to a
smooth surface.

I too learned the hard way that you can NOT remove finish with a planer. It
kills the blades almost immediately.

-Steve