Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:05:15 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

You know, at this point, you pretty much don't care I would assume how
ever, have you thought about constructing a voltage double rectifier
instead of that bridge rectifier to drive that coil?

+-------+-------++
| | |
+ | |
D1 - | |
^ | |
| | +
C1 + + C|
240 AC in | --- C| 480 Solenoid
|| | ---C2 C|
+---+-||+------+ + |
|| + | +
| | |
- | |
D2 ^ | |
240 AC in + | |
| + |
+-------------+-------++-------+
(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)

I suppose if you had to motor caps around you could use those, the
large ones of course.

What ever.
Jamie

Good idea. The caps will need to be charged by the 240VAC line
voltage in a few cycles in order to get any kind of usable response
time for pulsed operation. That means the caps are going to be rather
big. A rough guess would be:

AC impedance of the coil is roughly:
480VAC / 5A = 96 ohms
To get C2 up to about 90% of full charge in 2 cycles, the capacitive
reactance of C1 would need to be about:
Xc = 96 * 0.1 = 9.6 ohms
At 60Hz, that's 276 uF. 330uf 600VDC caps should work. I'm not very
confident with my crude approximations. Therefore, I would feed the
model to LTSpice and see what it's really going to do.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D