Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default ZeroG arm - Equipois

On Oct 18, 12:04*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --Many moons ago when Steadicam was new and kewl and very expensive
a guy reverse engineered it and made one with a pair of aluminum crutches
and some garage door springs. He got an article published in Super 8
Filmmaker magazine. Steadicam had a **** fit and by court order every copy
of the magazine was recalled and destroyed. Not sure what happened to the
guy who wrote the article but I bet it wasn't nice. If you decide to clone
this thing just be aware of the lawyers that'll be in the loop in short
order. 'Course nowadays if you put a page up showing how to do it, it'll go
viral and no amount of legaleze will be able to re-cork that bottle, hehe..

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Steel, Stainless, Titanium: *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!

I imagine steadicam did have a **** fit and *wanted* every copy
destroyed, but showing a reverse-engineered trade secret or patent
violates no patent or trademark law that I can think of, and fairly
sure you can't copyright such.

Also, no law stops someone from implementing any patented item for
their own use short of a commercial use.

Of course that does not mean the aforementioned plague o' lawyers
won't occur.

Dave