Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wierd threads part 2

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Dennis wrote:
http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=AJS100-0.5

"Sensitivity 0.7 µm"

What does that mean?

Bob

It's approximately how precisely you can position with it. They are used on
micromanipulators for probing bare integrated circuits and optical bench
lens mounts. The sensitivity limit is the jerky stick-slip travel, which can
be reduced by adjusting the thread tightening collar.
http://www.micromanipulator.com/prod...m=123&cat=124#
The tungsten probe needle is like a tiny TIG electrode.

For a proof-of-concept demo to get a job I've adjusted a 4-jaw lathe chuck
to 1 micron. I used 0-80 lens adjustment threads in the device, though. They
brought me in as the electronics tech and didn't know I could also design
and build delicate mechanical instruments.

0.7um is ~1/4 of a ten-thousandth. Try adjusting a tenth-reading inch
micrometer to a fraction of a vernier division.

jsw