Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Oct 17, 2:04 am, Dave wrote:

All that shows is that you're too stupid to realize and/or too
arrogant to admit that society usually ends up paying if you screw up.

I think that could probably be extrapolated to life in general, and
expanded slightly to become a life code.

It's that no man is an island thing. The thinking runs in a circle,
which indicates completeness, and allows for the unanswerable.

In the beginning everybody needs people (wipe their butt, open doors,
get them to school, pay their bills), as they grow and their
'independence' grows they become less reliant on other people for the
basic things. Continued growth and continued thought leads to more
capabilities and this is where the road divides.

Some people think that increasing capabilities and reduced reliance
will continue until they can do everything, know everything and
theoretically this will culminate in having little to no need for
other people. These other people are for the most part viewed as
being in their way.

People that took the other road still increase their capabilities but
realize that there will always be people that can do more than they
can, know more than they do (if not individually on a particular
subject, certainly collectively on all subjects), and that these other
people can help or hinder them. Anybody can help or hinder them.

At the end everybody needs people (wipe their butt, open doors, get
them to the doctors, pay their bills). And we're right back where we
started.

I guess that choice of viewpoint will indicate whether people feel
they are part of society or society is in their way.

I thought that young people had more problems than old people, and I
hoped I could last until I was older so I wouldn't have all those
problems. Then I looked around and saw that everybody who looked young
had young problems and that everybody who looked old had old problems.
The "old" problems to me looked easier to take than the "young"
problems. So I decided to go gray so nobody would know now old I was
and I would look younger to them than how old they thought I was. I
would gain a lot by going gray: (1) I would have old problems, which
were easier to take than young problems, (2) everyone would be
impressed by how young I looked, and (3) I would be relieved of the
responsibility of acting young—I could occasionally lapse into
eccentricity or senility and no one would think anything of it because
of my gray hair. When you've got gray hair, every move you make seems
"young" and "spry," instead of just being normally active. It's like
you're getting a new talent. So I dyed my hair gray when I was about
twenty-three or twenty-four.
- Andy Warhol