Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 10/16/2011 11:08 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
You didn't say this solenoid was part of a transfer switch. This
raises the stakes substantially. Transfer switches are used to switch
the mains supply to a generator when mains power is interrupted. They
serve two main purposes: to keep critical equipment functioning when
mains power is interrupted, and to deenergize the power line so that
workers can assume it is deenergized when they work on it.

Now, the transfer switch was tested to meet specifications with the
designed solenoid installed. Knowing nothing of the design or
construction of the component, you propose to roll your own and stick
it in.

Which would be fine, if no one's life depended on its working. And if
the vendor would stand behind your handicraft.

I don't think Asco could reasonably foresee that someone would use a
program that gives the number of turns for an air-core inductor to
design a part for a life-safety application.

Thank you for your information.

It changes nothing. The original solenoid develops about 12,000
ampere turns at 480 Volts. The replacement needs to develop 12,000
ampere turns at 240 volts.

If this were a customer, such as a extended care center where I
originally bought the used generator from and replaced their
original automatic transfer switch with a new compatible one I
would have (and did) take proper steps to insure everything worked
within the confines of a life-safety application.

This is a manual transfer switch with some control logic to determine
if all the power is present prior to switching. What in essence it
does is not allowing you to switch to a non-existent source.

I asked for an opinion that ampere turns was the right direction I
was headed in to change an operating solenoid from 480 to 240 volts.

I did not ask form someone such as yourself to presume that I totally
lack the ethics to endanger life with a crap modification.

Ya know, the way this transfer switch operates, I can just as easily
add the optional "manual handle" on the side of the box to switch from
normal to emergency power and throw away all the complicated stuff
inside.

As far as life safety is concerned, this is to handle a loss of power
at the shop I operate. Simple. "The power failed." Go outside, start
the generator and once it's running go back and flip the transfer
switch. When the utility power returns and stays on, flip the siwtch
aback and then go outside and turn the generator off.

This really isn't rocket science.

Jeff-1.0

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"