Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default What steel to use?

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 15:40:18 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

HI group,
I have a pellet stove wherein I have repaired the fire grate annually. Attached is a photo link of the grate.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101012...eat=directlink

Purchasing a new grate is to be avoided ($100 +). My last repair used heavy nails for the grate elements. Obviously they burn right through. All comments on what type of metal I should be using would be appreciated. Said metal should be easily obtainable. Metal diameter from 3/16" to 1/4" should work well.

Could I cut stainless pieces from refrigeration grates or oven grates?

What does the factory grate look like it's made from? I'll
guarantee you that the factory cross-bars are a better class of steel
than common nails.

If the side rails and ends of that "firebox bucket" structure is
regular steel, I'd just get 1/8" or 3/16" hot-rolled steel bar stock
and set the cut-off saw 1/2" wider than the bucket - use MIG or Arc
tack welds to hold the bars in, and you can pop them out with a quick
shot of a grinder.

If you pre-order it cut off, you could get Stainless rod stock, and do
the same weld trick to fasten it in.

Like someone said, check the draft and the flue for obstructions - the
incoming air is supposed to keep those rods from burning through. You
might even have to put a forced draft blower on the unit to make sure
it's getting enough combustion air flow.

And check that the stoker mechanism is keeping the fuel bed on the
fire grate deep enough to block the heat going down - the fuel in
contact with the grate shouldn't be on active fire, if anything it
should be the finished off ashes that are pretty much out and about to
fall through anyway.

Only reason the grates on a coal burning locomotive or boiler last for
more than a few days - the incoming air keeps the grates from getting
to the glowing-hot point, and then the water inside the boiler does
the same thing to protect the steel lining of the firebox, and the
fire tubes headed for the flue.

You want to see how that works,light a nice fire in the boiler and let
the water level get below the top of the Crown Sheet - and I'm gonna
go stand about a quarter mile over --- that-a-way...

-- Bruce --