Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Do all petroleum parts washer solvents smell horribly?

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:59:45 -0500, Ignoramus23036

On 2011-10-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:49:05 -0500, Ignoramus23036

On 2011-10-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:30:13 -0500, Ignoramus23036
wrote:

I have a bucket of parts washer solvent from Menards. This stuff REEKS
and smells really horribly, much worse than diesel fuel even.

I wonder if all solvents are like that, or there are some that are a
little better.

THanks

I like the smell of Hoppe's number nine gun cleaner.
http://www.hoppes.com/ Might even give me a woody if Milady wore it
to bed. (NOT going to happen)

But I need parts washer solvent, something like 40 gallons of it!

Well, you asked for good smelling, not cheap. I see its only $20 a
quart.

For cheap, I use a variation of Ed's red. Mostly diesel, mineral
spirts, ATF (used OK), and a bit of acetone. Google for a recipe,
don't have to follow it exactly. The smell is strong. But you might be
able to get a 55 gal drum of parts cleaner at about the same price if
you pick up at the distributor. You have learned to buy at wholesale,
haven't you?

Isn't acetone very flammable?

IIRC, its like 1% of the total, shouldn't make a step change in
flamablility. Or just leave it out. The mineral spirits and diesel do
all the main work. Like others have said, sub perfumeded kerosene and
stoddard solvent (WD40) if you want better smell.

Karl