Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 10/16/2011 4:33 PM, Jamie wrote:
Beware that some coils are dual coils with diodes potted in them.

WHen a diode fails in one of these, they tend to generate some noise
when energized. This is because one coil is pushing both directions
against the other that isn't.

Basically what this means is, the coil is designed to operate in a
DC state.

What we have done in the past if we suspected a shorted diode in one
of these types is to put a bridge rectifier in front of it.

But I can tell you this, if the construction of core around this coil
in the device that is using it has a laminated type layers, chances are,
you have a simple coil and there is some form of shading device near the
contact point where the accouter makes contact with it.

What is this thing? A ratcheting three position device? being ASCO, it
sounds like some kind of valve.

This is a simple multi-layer solenoid.
It is fed with 480 VAC via an external bridge rectifier.

It is a pull up actuated 100 amp 3-pole contactor.

It is physically identical to this one, with the excption of
being 3-poles rather than 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130520617745

The solenoid is at the top left of the contactor with the bridge
rectifier on the side.

Jeff-1.0

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"