Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default duct cleaning

On 10/16/2011 8:32 AM, cj wrote:
My wife is insisting that we have our ducts cleaned and I am curious as
to how this is done. Do the workers snake brushes through the duct work
to loosen dust/gunk? How is the debris removed? The previous owner was a
smoker so should I be concerned about smokers gunk lining the duct work?
thanks, cj

Assuming you have kept up on the furnace filter changes, and have not
just sanded all the drywall in house with furnace running, main thing it
cleans is your wallet. Sure, dust and gunk builds up in there, just like
in the exhaust line from your dryer. But a month or two after they have
been cleaned, they will look just the same.

Having said that, aside from the money, it can't hurt anything, unless
they trash your grates, in-line dampers, or furnace plenum when they
cut an access hatch. They clean with big brushes (sometimes motorized)
and a monster exhaust fan. If she is insisting, you know how pointless
arguing is. Just for giggles, I'd do a few before and after swabs and
photos on your own, on biggest duct run you can get a good shot at.
Then do it again a month or two later, and lay all three baggied white
cloths and photos out side by side for her.

As to previous owner being a smoker- yes, the gunk they pull out will be
brown. If house still has that smoker smell, the cleaning may actually
help with that.

--
aem sends...