Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Oct 16, 1:09*pm, Jack wrote:
On 10/14/2011 10:46 AM, RicodJour wrote:

But that's not even an *issue since you're not in the market for a new saw
and probably won't
be for, what, ten or fifteen years? *Saws last a long time - at least
good ones do. *If your old one dies, buy a new motor.

My saw was built around 1954, I've been using it since 1970, and it has
not injured me yet, and it has no safety equipment on it... none. *I
expect it will last me the rest of my woodworking life, and yes, as I
age, I might be at higher risk, and probably should get one of his saws,
but so far, no.

Waiting until after the accident to put on your seatbelt makes
_perfect_ sense. I'm sure your reflexes and eyesight are improving
with age. Me? I'm not so lucky.

The only reason you'd have to have a new saw is for the new features.
Like safety features...unless they've figured out a new way to spin a
blade.

True enough, and I have looked at saw stop and perhaps would buy one if
I were in the market. *I just don't want him, and the government to
force me to buy one because they DEEM it necessary. *In fact, now that I
know what he is up too, and he's a freaking lawyer to boot, I'll likely
continue letting it all hang out with my current saw.

You were never entertaining any other option.

You're the one complaining that the government needs to change the rules
to force you to do something I guess your too ****ing dumb to do on your
own. *I'm happy with my current ability to buy what saw I want, and live
on the edge IF I so choose.

And you're already doing that and have no intention to change. So
where's the rub?

You will not be forced to buy a safer saw, and you won't be hurt
unless ...ummm, you're hurt. Time and age are taking care of reducing
your options just fine on their own. If you want to help kick the
ball downhill, that's fine by me.

We're all getting older. The world leaves us behind. That's how it
works and how it's _supposed_ to work. Getting worked up about it
doesn't slow it down.