Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman Doug  Houseman is offline

Default Flooring a C shaped corridor

In article , "Artemus"
wrote:

"Bowsider" wrote in message
news:16923383.625.1318632133438.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbay19...
I am putting down a floor in a C shaped corridor. The landing off the top of
the
stairs is approximately 1.5m wide and 5m long - the stairs lands roughly in
the
middle. There are two corridors running off each end of the landing at 90
degrees,
these are also about 4m long and around 1m wide. What do people think is the
best
orientation for the boards? Thanks in advance.

------------------------

Lengthwise in all 3 sections. Join the corners in either a herringbone
or 45 miter.
Art

My choice would depend on the length of the flooring. If it were say 1
meter wide and a single board would cover the hallway, I would go
against the convention and run it across the two sides of the "C" and
then run it the long dimension in front of the stairs. It would be
boring, but it would have fewer joints and be fairly quick to install.

I know this goes against the wood worker in me who did all the hallways
long dimension and did an edge in contrasting materials, that caused me
about an extra week of evening time.