Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default What steel to use?

On 10/15/2011 3:40 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
HI group,
I have a pellet stove wherein I have repaired the fire grate annually. Attached is a photo link of the grate.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101012...eat=directlink

Purchasing a new grate is to be avoided ($100 +). My last repair used heavy nails for the grate elements. Obviously they burn right through. All comments on what type of metal I should be using would be appreciated. Said metal should be easily obtainable. Metal diameter from 3/16" to 1/4" should work well.

Could I cut stainless pieces from refrigeration grates or oven grates?

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

That looks like the fire grate in the Kozi Bay Window pellet stove I
bought for our rental house about three years ago. It has been about the
only source of heat during that time.

I am sure the renters have cleaned the grate/stove, but I cleaned it for
the first time last month. The grate looked almost as good as new! I
don't know about the quality of pellets being used, but the cheapest
locally are made right in Redmond, OR. So I suspect that is what they
used and what was in the stove when I cleaned it.

The house is at 3,000 ft, the limit for normal use of the pellet stove
and the air feed is taken right from the house air. Built in 1927!

So, I wonder what is causing your burn out problem? Do you run with the
draft wide open? Have you written to the company in Canada that built
the stove? And, do you have the manual showing the proper adjustment and
cleaning of the stove?

A renter took the manual and never returned it, so I went to their web
site to download a copy. Wouldn't work. Emailed the company for a copy -
PDF- and it was here the next morning.

Sorry, I don't know what the box and grate are made of.

Paul