Bruce Adams

Default Life expectancy of planer blades???

"Rick Gibson" wrote in message
.. .
I've got another bunch of boards with finish on them so when I decide to

use
them the dull blades go back in just long enough to clean off the finish.

I can't remember where I saw this... (Woodworking magazine, I'm sure.) They
said that running a benchtop planer with dull knives will significantly
shorten its life. The higher force needed to push dull blades through wood
stresses the drive train and increases the amp draw of the motor. Maybe
they're all wet, but it made sense to me and convinced me to flip the knives
on my 12.5" Delta. (I'm a cheap ******* and had already put /way/ too much
wood through those blades.)

Bruce