Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Home thermostat doesn't respond to changes in temperature......

On Oct 12, 8:59*pm, hrricane34 wrote:
We have a modern digital thermostat that we mainly use during the
summer months and we have noticed that if we have all the windows shut
then the temperature (on the thermostat) does not change as the
temperature of the room changes (we measured room temp independently
of the thermostat). *But the kicker is that if we open a window, even
only a couple of inches (just has to be one of them, not all) in the
house, the temperature on the thermostat would change quite rapidly
and then settle to the actual room temp. *Also note that the outside
air is not any cooler than the current inside temp.

Based on an internet search all we could come up with is to insulate
the area inside the wall where the thermostat is located since they
seem to think that there is warm air blowing within the walls, but I'm
not sure why opening a window would cause warm air to escape in
between the walls behind the thermostat.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to why the temp only changes when
we open a window?

Drafty wall cavities, large hole behind the thermostat which is
effecting
the thermostat's readings...

It would be nice if all the wall cavities were sealed up in your house
but
that is not required in single family homes...

I would seriously worry in the event of a fire in your house, if it
gets into
the walls at all it will end up causing a lot more damage as if this
sort
if airflow can have a significant enough volume to effect your
thermostat
reading, it will literally suck the fire into the walls if you leave
the door
open in your hasty retreat for your life or after flash over in a room
breaks out the window...

~~ Evan