Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange gutter configuration

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:48:15 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

harry wrote:
On Oct 14, 5:11 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
As I was driving to work today I noticed a strange gutter
configuration on a house.

I'll classify the house as "high end"...several thousand square
feet, all brick, nice dormers, landscaping, etc. It was a really
nice house in an expensive neighborhood. I couldn't tell just by
driving by if it was fairly new or decades old.

The section of the house that contained the garage and rooms above
was at a right angle to main house. On the side of that garage
section there was a single window on the second floor, right in the
middle.

There was a section of gutter and a downspout on the right and left
of the window, but over the window itself the roof extended out
creating a slight overhang. There was no gutter over the window.

It looked OK...nice and symmetrical - even lengths of gutters and a
downspout at the ends away from the window.

However, I have to question the decision to leave a ~4' section of
roof without a gutter. The sides of the main house also has windows
on the second floor, but on that section they use a single length of
gutter for the entire side.

Would you, for apparently aesthetics reasons only, leave a section
of a roof without gutters?

Sure. I have roughly 400' of roof line without gutters.

Lives in Death Valley?

Florida. Roughly 50 inches per year, mostly June - Sept.

and no basement

In many cases gravel filled "ditch" around the house to drain off the
rainfall from the roof.