Rick Gibson

Default Life expectancy of planer blades???

I've got the Delta 13 inch planer and had put about 3 - 400 bd feet of oak
and walnut through it then decided to clean the finish off a nice piece of
mahogany that was given to me. About 10 feet of mahogany with finish on it
took the edge right off the blades. These blades are double sided so I
turned them over and went out and bought another 2 sets to hang on the wall.

I've got another bunch of boards with finish on them so when I decide to use
them the dull blades go back in just long enough to clean off the finish.

Rick

--
webservant

Web design for churches http://www.gibs-web.ca
Wycliffe Bible Translators Caribbean http://www.wycliffecaribbean.org
Journaling / mental health http://www.pipcom.com/~jpeacock/
Bothwell Baptist Church http://www.forministry.com/CAONBCOOQBBC1

"DexAZ" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Ron,

My guess is that, like all blades, bits etc., they will fail right is the
middle of a project...about 8:45pm...on a Saturday night...and ALL the

area
hardware stores are closed on Sunday.

As the proud owner of a new DW735, I'm hoping the blades are good for a

few
1,000 bdft. Good question though. I'll find out down the road a ways.

DexAZ

"Ron" wrote in message
I'm sure the life of planer blades varies with the type of wood, blade
speed, number of blades, etc...

That said how many bf of red oak & cedar should I expect to be able to

plane
before needing to replace/flip blades

Are we talking 100's of bf or over 1000?

ThankX,
Ron