Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Flooring a C shaped corridor

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 8:41 am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 14, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"Bowsider" wrote:

I am putting down a floor in a C shaped corridor. The landing off the
top
of the stairs is approximately 1.5m wide and 5m long - the stairs
lands
roughly in the middle. There are two corridors running off each end
of
the
landing at 90 degrees, these are also about 4m long and around 1m
wide.
What do people think is the best orientation for the boards? Thanks
in
advance.

This is one of those cases where I'd do something crazy like curving
the
flooring to match the C shape... Obviously it's completely custom work
but
I'm not always good about controlling my woodworking urges.

Are you suggesting he steam bends the wood strips to curve around the
corners...? That I'd like to see!

That would be interesting... maybe reduce the width to 1 1/8" to
facilitate
smooth bends? The grain would flow better that what I was thinking.

What I had in mind was milling curved strip flooring on the shaper where
the
curve matches the shape of the C. Relatively short pieces would be used so
there isn't too much grain running out of the sides. A pattern could be
used
to get the curved shape and then mill the tongue and groove afterwards.
I'm
making an assumption here that the C has a continuous, circular, curve
rather than being a true C shape which is more oblong. If it's oblong the
radius changes which would be really tricky to mill but might make for an
interesting challenge. ;~)

I think the OP's C-shaped corridor is probably rectilinear with two 90
degree corners. That would be much more typical.

Could be... a case where a graphic would help...

John