Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Dave Dave is offline

Default Another question for those in the know...

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 22:51:29 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:37:32 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:04:52 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
news:ds2c97telu5u5m7dv63de8n5fsg44j39ka@4ax. com...
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:44:41 -0500, "Dave"
wrote:

Hey John. No, I don't have any data on the PV (I'm guessing that is
"PhotoVoataic".) It's something I pulled out of my junkbox...

---
PhotoVoltaic. :-)
^
---

BTW, I'm trying to run this sim in LTSpice, and can't figure out how
make
it work. This is a netlist, right?

---
No.

It's an ASCII circuit description, and LTspice generates the needed
netlist from it.
---

How can I import it to my version of LTSpice and give it a test
run.
I'm really interested in seeing your changes.
Thanks!

---
OK.

Save the list to a file and name it anything you like as long as it
has a .asc extension, say, "nightlight.asc".

Then, invoke LTspice, navigate to the file and left click on it.

Voila! The beautemous schematic will appear before your very eyes,
ready to be run and probed :-)

BTW, the X axis of the waveform viewer is set to correspond to a 24
hour day and you can adjust the voltage divider connected to the
BJT's
base to set the circuit's switching threshold to a function of time
by
regarding voltage as a function of irradiance.
--
JF

THANK YOU! *Much appreciated.*

Dave

---
My pleasure. :-)

--
JF

Hey John, have a question RE the Spice schematic generated by the
netlist
which resulted from opening the ASCII circuit description you posted.
The
schematic shows V3, or the PV, as being four volts, not four hundred
millivolts, which would accurately describe the real circuit I am
working
with. If I said that the PV generated 4 volts, I was full of crap. It
is
.4V. Seems like this would change everything. But that's why I had a
4.2K
in series with a 680 Ohm resistor for the voltage divider that drives
the
base of Q1. When I saw you had a 4.7K and a 10K for those resistors, I
knew
something was not right. Please give this another glance, and let me
know
what you think...

---
You won't have enough gain with a single transistor and only 400mV
deltaV on the base to get crispy switch points, but change R3 to 1K
and R4 to 240 ohms and you'll at least get the LED to turn on and off
as day turns to night turns to day.

Have you tried Doctor Phil's circuit yet?

--
JF

Haven't received the parts I ordered from Digikey yet. Maybe tomorrow or
Saturday...

And the 400 mV is coming from the tiny photocell, to counter part of the
voltage divider's voltage at the base and turn Q1 off when the sun is
shining.

---
Yes, I know.

Here are a few that work pretty well without it, using the big PV as
the daylight/dark sensor:

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE -512 -208 -528 -208
WIRE -432 -208 -448 -208
WIRE -400 -208 -432 -208
WIRE -320 -208 -336 -208
WIRE -224 -208 -240 -208
WIRE -96 -208 -112 -208
WIRE -16 -208 -32 -208
WIRE 192 -208 -16 -208
WIRE 368 -208 352 -208
WIRE 448 -208 432 -208
WIRE 512 -208 448 -208
WIRE 608 -208 576 -208
WIRE 736 -208 688 -208
WIRE -224 -160 -224 -208
WIRE 192 -160 192 -208
WIRE 736 -160 736 -208
WIRE -528 -112 -528 -208
WIRE -416 -112 -528 -112
WIRE -320 -112 -336 -112
WIRE -288 -112 -320 -112
WIRE -112 -112 -112 -208
WIRE 0 -112 -112 -112
WIRE 96 -112 80 -112
WIRE 128 -112 96 -112
WIRE 352 -80 352 -208
WIRE 464 -80 352 -80
WIRE 560 -80 544 -80
WIRE 688 -80 560 -80
WIRE -528 -32 -528 -112
WIRE -432 -32 -432 -208
WIRE -112 -32 -112 -112
WIRE -16 -32 -16 -208
WIRE 352 -32 352 -80
WIRE 448 -32 448 -208
WIRE -320 0 -320 -112
WIRE 96 0 96 -112
WIRE 192 0 192 -64
WIRE 560 0 560 -80
WIRE -528 96 -528 48
WIRE -432 96 -432 48
WIRE -112 96 -112 48
WIRE -16 96 -16 48
WIRE 352 96 352 48
WIRE 448 96 448 48
WIRE 192 112 192 80
WIRE -528 224 -528 176
WIRE -432 224 -432 176
WIRE -432 224 -528 224
WIRE -320 224 -320 80
WIRE -320 224 -432 224
WIRE -224 224 -224 -64
WIRE -224 224 -320 224
WIRE -112 224 -112 176
WIRE -16 224 -16 176
WIRE -16 224 -112 224
WIRE 96 224 96 80
WIRE 96 224 -16 224
WIRE 192 224 192 176
WIRE 192 224 96 224
WIRE 352 224 352 176
WIRE 448 224 448 176
WIRE 448 224 352 224
WIRE 560 224 560 80
WIRE 560 224 448 224
WIRE 736 224 736 -64
WIRE 736 224 560 224
WIRE -528 288 -528 224
WIRE -112 288 -112 224
WIRE 352 288 352 224
FLAG -112 288 0
FLAG 352 288 0
FLAG -528 288 0
SYMBOL LED 176 112 R0
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value NSCW100
SYMBOL res 176 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 42
SYMBOL voltage -16 80 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMATTR Value 4.8
SYMBOL voltage -112 80 R0
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 8 0 12 12 0 24 1)
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMBOL res -32 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value .1
SYMBOL res -128 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 58
SYMBOL pnp 128 -64 M180
SYMATTR InstName Q2
SYMATTR Value 2N3906
SYMBOL res 80 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res 96 -128 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 1k
SYMBOL nmos 688 -160 R0
SYMATTR InstName M1
SYMATTR Value 2N7002
SYMBOL schottky 368 -192 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D4
SYMATTR Value 1N5817
SYMATTR Description Diode
SYMATTR Type diode
SYMBOL voltage 448 80 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V3
SYMATTR Value 4.8
SYMBOL voltage 352 80 R0
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 8 0 12 12 0 24 1)
SYMATTR InstName V4
SYMBOL res 432 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R8
SYMATTR Value .1
SYMBOL res 336 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value 58
SYMBOL res 560 -96 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R11
SYMATTR Value 1k
SYMBOL res 704 -224 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R12
SYMATTR Value 39
SYMBOL res 544 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 1k
SYMBOL LED 512 -192 R270
WINDOW 0 72 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D5
SYMATTR Value NSCW100
SYMBOL schottky -96 -192 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D1
SYMATTR Value 1N5817
SYMATTR Description Diode
SYMATTR Type diode
SYMBOL schottky -512 -192 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D3
SYMATTR Value 1N5817
SYMATTR Description Diode
SYMATTR Type diode
SYMBOL voltage -432 80 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V5
SYMATTR Value 4.8
SYMBOL voltage -528 80 R0
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 8 0 12 12 0 24 1)
SYMATTR InstName V6
SYMBOL res -448 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value .1
SYMBOL res -544 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R13
SYMATTR Value 58
SYMBOL res -320 -128 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R14
SYMATTR Value 1k
SYMBOL res -336 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R16
SYMATTR Value 200
SYMBOL LED -400 -192 R270
WINDOW 0 72 32 VTop 2
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2
SYMATTR InstName D6
SYMATTR Value NSCW100
SYMBOL npn -288 -160 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q1
SYMATTR Value 2N3904
SYMBOL res -224 -224 R90
WINDOW 0 -43 61 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 -34 63 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R15
SYMATTR Value 42
TEXT -520 256 Left 2 !.tran 24 startup

--
JF

Man! Thank you! Choices yet! My God, I don't know what to say. Thanks.
I'm still waiting on the 2N2007 from Digikey, but I may not need it now.
Still, I have options. Thank you very much. And take it easy...

Dave