Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Rest iN peace, Mr. Jobs

On 10/15/2011 6:13 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 10/14/2011 6:06 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

05 Cavalier, turn the rotors and drums and new pads and shoes.

Turn the rotors???? Leon - nobody turns rotors anymore!

Uh yes they do unless I guess you are talking about one of those 4
brakes for just $99 kind of deals. A typical normally priced 4 wheel
job at a dealer is$400, and they do turn the rotors.

Don't know about the $99 deals Leon - I don't let any of my vehicles out for
repair. The only time one of my vehicles will go to a shop is if for some
reason, I just do not want to do the work - and the cheap side of me won't
let that happen very often.

What I've found though, is that I've gone back to a practice of replacing
only the pads, every other brake job - unless of course, there is some
extreme rotor wear, but that's a different matter. I was replacing rotors
every time, and it just was not necessary - especially since I switched over
to ceramic pads. Today's rotors often do not tolerate turning very well
since they are not all that thick to start with, and if there is any warping
or gouging, they don't survive turning very well.

Of course, my cost does not reflect shop rates, but that 4 wheel brake job
with new rotors and ceramic pads will cost me under $200, and an hour or two
of my time.

Understood and every thing you mentioned above is true. I was
responding more to the comment you made about nobody turning rotors any
more. As with you I never sent my vehicle to the shop either so to
speak, I was the service sales manager and got free access to the shop
equipment. I turned my own rotors. The least expensive way of having
the rotors turned for the average person would be to take the
rotors/drums in himself and have the turned at the auto parts store. It
has be quite a while since I have done this but $15 would get all 4
turned and that was a heck of a cheap price then. I suspect that even
now if the rotor/drum can be turned that is still the least expensive
way out.
Being older and not having problems with paying an extra $200 or so to
keep me off the floor and my hands clean I let the dealership have my
business.