Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Another question about communal sewage treatment plants

Where I live the sewage treatment plant recently broke down and needed
a new pump. Householders each had to pay a relatively small sum of
money in order to avoid tapping into the contingency fund which is
really there for replacing the entire plant in 20 years' time.

And then a number of residents refused to pay, for whatever reason I
don't know. Those who had paid got their money back and the bill for
the new pump plus labour etc was paid from the contingency fund
instead.

It seems to me that many residents are just not aware of what might
happen if the pump failed and was not replaced. Now, I don't know the
details, but what if this did happen, what would the Environment
Agency do? Obviously, at first there'd be some kind of warning
(verbal, then letter) to the estate management, but thereafter? What
powers does the Environment Agency have if sewage is backing up and
overflowing because some residents are too stubborn to pay?

I should think the EA has maximum powers, including sending in the
local water company to pump out the sewage at some considerable cost
to be borne by the residents. Can the EA declare the estate unfit for
human habitation or some such?

I am only a resident and am not on the management board, but I'm fed
up with the constant argy-bargy that has been going on since I moved
here in late 2004. I want to bring this up at the next annual meeting
with some kind of impressive sounding message, of what the authorities
could or would do in the event of an emergency, to try and put the
fear of God into these late/non-payers. They all knew (they signed on
the dotted line) what they would be responsible for when they moved to
the estate, so there's no excuse. Also, many residents have new or
nearly new cars so they are not exactly poor.

A new plant for 40 houses would cost around £35k at today's prices.In
20 years from now it could be double or treble that, so building up
the contingency fund is vital.

MM