Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default barn paint on concrete

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:06:33 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 14, 5:35Â*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Anyone know if plain old white barn paint will adhere (and stay adhered
for a few years) to bare concrete without any kind of priming?

I just sealed a couple of my exterior-facing basement walls against
moisture, and the whiteness makes quite a difference to the brightness
levels down there compared to gray concrete - so it got me thinking
about doing some of the internal walls with the barn paint that I have.

Maybe it'll just all fall off, though, or maybe it'll go chalky and
leave marks on anything that rubs up against it... but OTOH it's not
like it has to cope with sunlight or rain, so it's probably just a case
of how well it'll stick to concrete instead of wood.

Eventually, and once I know I've got all the moisture issues under
control, I'll sheetrock down there and make the space more habitable -
in the meantime it just needs to be functional, but not pretty :-)

Use a masonry waterproofing paint such as UGL or a cement-based white
coating such as Thoroseal. Either will take care of the cosmetics and
damp-proofing at the same time. Regular paint will be but a bandaid and
you'll still have to redo it at a later date - i.e. wasted time and
money.

No, this is specifically about the 'interior' walls which aren't
inherently damp (although there's moisture in the air, so I should
probably run a dehumidifier down there for a while if I do try it) - the
ones which form the perimeter of the property I'm doing with Behr masonry
waterproofer (and hydraulic cement in a couple of spots where it leaks
quite a lot when it rains - I'll see how that goes and hopefully I won't
have to dig down to the footer next spring and seal from the outside).

I just noticed how much of a light gain I was getting from the white Behr
stuff on the outer walls, so got to wondering if I can do the 'dry' walls
with the barn paint.

I checked one of the actual buckets of barn paint, but it's a bit vague
on the matter. It says for exterior *wood* surfaces, then goes to list a
few examples - one of which is masonry (which, as far as I'm concerned,
is not wood :-)

cheers

Jules