Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TrailRat TrailRat is offline

Default Spot weld strength!

OK, now I know what I'm looking for I have a question about strength.

I am in the process of making a pair of manacles for a friend for a halloween costume. The manacles are meant to look steampunk and are of a steamed curved hardwood with brass fittings. The hinge will be brass and I plan on replacing the hinge pin with a d-ring. This is for a small length of brass chain (3-4 links). Despite these being a costume piece, I am more then sure that they will see use and I am more then sure that some bright spark will try to "break free" by tugging on the links. You know how that goes, I'm sure you've seen that in the movies! Anyway, to save face I have decided to spot weld shut the gap in the d-links so it doesn't separate under tension.

Will that work?