Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_4_] Robert Allison[_4_] is offline

Default moving gas dryer

On 10/14/2011 1:39 PM, woger151 wrote:
I want to clean out the vent in my gas dryer. To really do that well,
I have to move it away from the wall.

To do _that_, sounds like I need to disconnect the gas line, and then
reconnect when done. Is that really a big deal? There's all sorts of
advice on how to do it on the web, e.g. in this USENET group at
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...04b82494a3eef1

Doesn't sound like a big deal. I'm not that experienced but am pretty
handy and careful, so I figure calling a plumber would be a waste of
money, but wanted to hear what you guys had to say.

That being said, there _was_ an incident around here (suburb of Wash
DC) where some guy blew his house to bits a few months ago. But I
think he was actually putting in the line to the dryer himself.

Not a big deal at all unless you don't have a valve at the appliance.
Just make sure to turn off the valve before you start and it is a piece
of cake. I will assume that your dryer has an electronic ignition, so
no pilot lights to relight.

If you DON'T have a valve at the appliance, then you have to shut off
the gas to the house, then relight all of your pilots after you turn it
back on. It would be a good time to install a valve at the dryer when
you turn off the gas.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX