Posted to alt.home.repair
tim birr tim birr is offline

Default Tyvek for roof -- instead of felt?

On Oct 14, 10:20*am, bud-- wrote:
On 10/12/2011 10:56 AM, wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:08:30 GMT, Red
wrote:

tim *wrote :

OK, I have to say, I don't really know what was going on.

I was on my way to work and saw a "roofing crew" atop a house and
noticed that they had Tyvek spread out all over the roof. *They also
had bundles of shingles waiting.

I ASSUME they were going to put the shingles over the Tyvek.

Of course, I grew up with the 15/30 pound felt option.

Anyone know if this is the future. I have a shed I will probably have
to roof in a few years....

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weather...cts/residentia....

That is a product meant to meet the new Florida code that requires a
secondary membrane under shingles, which tend to become flying solid
waste in a storm.

Why wouldn't Tyvec get blown off as fast as shingles?

OP again.

Since I "know" the people who had the house, I stopped by late
yesterday and indeed, the roofers were using a Tyvek product that Red
Green posted a link to way at the top of this thread.

Apparently they made a big deal about it in their estimate.

I only saw it from 90 yards away or so, but it LOOKED like the regular
Tyvek housewrap with the big Tyvek name splashed all around. Again,
follow the link Red thoughtfully provided at the top of the post.

IMHO, I would NEVER allow shingles to be placed without felt (or maybe
Tyvek, now....).