Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Tyvek for roof -- instead of felt?

On Oct 14, 9:27*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Oct 13, 10:15*pm, wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:38:12 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:51*am, tim birr wrote:
OK, I have to say, I don't really know what was going on.

I was on my way to work and saw a "roofing crew" atop a house and
noticed that they had Tyvek spread out all over the roof. *They also
had bundles of shingles waiting.

I ASSUME they were going to put the shingles over the Tyvek.

Of course, I grew up with the 15/30 pound felt option.

Anyone know if this is the future. I have a shed I will probably have
to roof in a few years....

Some shingles are meant to be put up without felt....voids the
warranty if you use it. Tyvek may have been used instead of a tarp.

Jimmie

*Please supply us with a reference for ANY shingle manufacturer that
voids the warranty if the shingle is applied over roofing felt.- Hide quoted text -

I'll see if I still have the info. That was two roofs ago. first one
got ripped off by a tornado and when they started putting on the
shingles without felt I called them on it. Well he showed me the
installation info and sure enough it was to be installed without
underlayment. Roof had aged well(15 years) but was hail damaged this
past year so it got replaced. Most recent roof *has underlayment. I
put the new warranty papers in my file, dont remember if I removed the
old ones or not, I ll check. The no- felt roof was installed in '96,
fairly certain it was Owens Corning.

Nope. Sorry, Jimmie. I've been installing shingles since well before
that and Owens Corning never made three tab or architectural
fiberglass/asphalt shingles that did not require an underlayment.
It's been industry standard since Moses was a pup.

Post a scan/picture of the instructions that says that, and if I'm
wrong I'll donate $20 to a charity of your choice.

The fact that apparently some jurisdictions let people skate and omit
the underlayment is baffling to me. It automatically voids the
shingle warranty, regardless of the cause of the shingle failure, and
violates all of the major building codes. Why a jurisdiction would
put their constituents at risk, and over such a small expenditure,
makes no sense at all.

If your contractor has done that, I'd sue them in small claims court
and/or report them to the licensing bureau. You'd probably end up
getting the roof for free (less applicable costs).