Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Strange gutter configuration

On Oct 14, 10:17 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
As I was driving to work today I noticed a strange gutter
configuration on a house.

I'll classify the house as "high end"...several thousand square feet,
all brick, nice dormers, landscaping, etc. It was a really nice house
in an expensive neighborhood. I couldn't tell just by driving by if it
was fairly new or decades old.

The section of the house that contained the garage and rooms above was
at a right angle to main house. On the side of that garage section
there was a single window on the second floor, right in the middle.

There was a section of gutter and a downspout on the right and left of
the window, but over the window itself the roof extended out creating
a slight overhang. There was no gutter over the window.

It looked OK...nice and symmetrical - even lengths of gutters and a
downspout at the ends away from the window.

However, I have to question the decision to leave a ~4' section of
roof without a gutter. The sides of the main house also has windows on
the second floor, but on that section they use a single length of
gutter for the entire side.

Would you, for apparently aesthetics reasons only, leave a section of
a roof without gutters?

(No, at this point, I do not know what is below the section without
the gutter, i.e. blacktop, bushes, etc. I'll have to see if I can find
out without getting arrested for trespassing.)

I'm assuming by your surprise, and reading between the lines, that the
window in question is in a dormer of some sort, and that it has a flat
roof, and not a gable, pitched in the same direction as the main roof.

The question is - how much roof is above that window, and have
diverters been installed to direct the water towards either side?