Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tyvek for roof -- instead of felt?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:33:41 -0400, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 10/13/2011 3:17 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:20:23 GMT, Red wrote:

wrote in
:

wrote in news:db117e65-28cd-4684-99f3-
:

Every asphalt and fiberglass shingle manufacturer that I've run
across - maybe about half a dozen of the most common shingle
manufacturers - requires an underlayment or the warranty is voided.
Just the opposite of what you're saying. These include Tamko,
Certainteed, GAF, Elk, Owens Corning, IKO, Atlas, etc.

So how come each-and-every new home I see being built near my place
has the shingles nailed right over top of the bare plywood?

Wonder what a fire inspector or home insurance agent would comment about
this.

I'm not either but I know it's been a common practice, by builders, for at
least forty years.

Odd, I don't think I've _ever_ seen it done without the felt up in PA or
down here in TN.

When I had my roof redone here in Ontario about 4 years ago, the
companies I asked for price quotes were all over the map on this. One
said I was crazy when I requested a price with felt, several gave a
price with or without, and one said he would not do it any other way.

Last year when my daughter's townhouse needed a new roof the first
company I called said they had upped their price this year and would
no longer touch a roof job without double ice guard at the bottom,
single ice gusrd on the gable ends, metal drip guard all around, and
felt over everything before a layer of 20 year shingles. Anything
less, please go bother someone else. Their experience was feltless did
not stand up.

They got the job. $100 more than a company that had to be convinced to
use the felt.

The guy that did the job said they had been doing feltless roofing to
compete on price, but with the callbacks they had experienced over the
last couple years they were "tired of ****ing into the wind" competing
on price and decided to go back to doing a top quality job, for
whatever price that entailed, even if he had to lay off a crew. Ended
up with more work than they could handle -