Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tyvek for roof -- instead of felt?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:20:23 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Tegger wrote in
:

RicodJour wrote in news:db117e65-28cd-4684-99f3-
:

Every asphalt and fiberglass shingle manufacturer that I've run
across - maybe about half a dozen of the most common shingle
manufacturers - requires an underlayment or the warranty is voided.
Just the opposite of what you're saying. These include Tamko,
Certainteed, GAF, Elk, Owens Corning, IKO, Atlas, etc.

So how come each-and-every new home I see being built near my place
has the shingles nailed right over top of the bare plywood?

Wonder what a fire inspector or home insurance agent would comment about
this.

No fire issues, and insurance agents generally only need to know how
old the roof is, and what roofing material. They don't cover leak
damage from deteriorated roofing - only catastrophic damage.